Wednesday, April 28, 2010

design to inspire...

Did you know that I love to design? It is almost a sickness. Whenever I am at one of my kids' houses I can't help but start rearranging furniture in my head or thinking what pieces may better suit the space or how to create a more beautiful flow through the room or... I could go on and on. It honestly brings me so much joy and fulfillment to assist in creating a beautiful space in someone's home. That was one of the main reasons I opened the Willows many years ago. I receive lovely and flattering comments from people all the time, but the other day I received a comment that left me feeling a little torn. A big designer was in the store and commented, "I just love getting ideas from your store!" Then she raved and raved about how great the store looked and left. She didn't buy anything, she has never brought customers to our store, and, as flattered as I was, I felt somewhat let down. Don't we all need to help support each other if we want the small, local businesses to stay?

Anyway, we just finished setting up the store for summer with our Sea Bags and sails and all things nautical and patriotic. We are so happy with how it all looks, we hope you will come in and have a peak in person, but in the meantime...

Sea bags, which are these amazing totes made from recycled sails, also make this fabulous wine bag which we are all loving at the store right now. You write the name of the friend you are giving it to and the date and then they pass it along and do the same. What a fun gift to have within a circle of good friends!

Tomorrow we are going to post our top picks for Mother's Day and teacher's gifts, so be sure to check those out. Or next time you are in the store, we will be more than happy to show you! And for those who are extra ahead of the game we already even have some great Father's Day ideas...

On a different note, my daughter-in-law, Emily (who loved all your comments on yesterdays post!) just asked me if I had any suggestions for something to hang above the toilet in her newly remodeled bathroom. I have decided to see if you all have any suggestions. Should she paint the white walls since there is so much white tile? Or does all that white keep it looking clean and fresh? Should she hang some sort of towel rack, but something light and airy? What about a really big picture of her kids? What do you think?

Finally, thank you so much to all our wonderful and loyal customers! And thank you to all our new friends we have found (and are continuing to find) through this blog! We love hearing your thoughts and ideas (keep the comments coming!) and are looking forward to everything else we have to share here. So, spread the love and become a follower, bookmark our blog, or email to a friend (or ten friends...). We have so many design tips, store promotions, craft ideas, new recipes, remodel updates, giveaways and so much more to share, so we hope you'll all stick around and continue to give us your lovely feedback. Can I express anymore how much I love reading every single comment? You ladies (and any fellas out there) are the very best.

22 comments:

Jen said...

the store looks gorgeous...i wish i could visit in person! i ALSO wish that you would come to my house and start mentally rearranging...i need all the help I can get and I love your aesthetic!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

My mouth is still on the floor from the designer's comments. I'm flabbergasted, truly. Your store looks beautiful. I used to get so distracted at my book club meetings because I would spend the entire time mentally rearranging their homes, totally get that.

Amanda said...

Hi Bev (and Jen)!
Love the blog! I think this (http://www.imageexchange.com/mvx10/engine.cgi?cid=sL4WGef0C1lMDN9XZn0ht3pYU7&store=nytm&page=default&basecat=aft&return=sku50&body=sku10&sku=28502) NYC subway poster would be fun in a bathroom.

Amanda Hines

JNoPie said...

Just found this blog through Velvet and Linen and love it already...
I think a black and white family photo would be precious in your daughter-in-law's bathroom.

Shannon Juarez said...

I would do a large canvas print of the children in the bathroom. It could be black or white or have it photoshopped in a vintage look. I do love your style! About the designer....just take the comment as a compliment. You got the style she wants to emulate. Hopefully, she will buy from you someday. I live in Texas but maybe some day I could stop by.

Time for Treasures said...

WOW! Your store is absolutely incredible! I can't wait to plan a trip to visit your store (from the far west valley)! I am amazed at what that designer said, but it is a huge compliment I guess. For your daughters bathroom I quickly scrolled back up to the 4 black and white prints hanging over the fireplace and thought those would look great!

Angie said...

LOVE IT ALL!!!

Unknown said...

everything looks beautiful!

Rosanne said...

Love the wine bag, what a clever idea! Save me one, I'll be in next week. As for the bathroom. I like something a little quirky and unexpected with a little punch of color but not to crazy. Not sure about the suggestion of a family photo. Would you really want them "watching" you in there.

georganne said...

hi bev!! great blog, i just remembered to check it out!! love you daughter-in-law emily!! love the surpise bathroom!! the perfect thing to put in that space are black and white photos of her kids in the bath tub. i did this with both my kids at every stage/age (first bath, toddler etc)
we still love looking at them. emily is such a great photographer too.
keep up the good work,
georganne
check out my blog sometime - click on the blog button on www.francesvintage.com

Unknown said...

What a fun blog! I am glad I have come across it. Beautiful pictures!

Sarah's Fab Day said...

I love your store and have blogged about it often. It's hands down my favorite in the Phoenix metro area. Thanks for always being so fabulous.

Dressing On The Side said...

gorgeous things!! what fun you must have.
I can totally relate to "helping each other out" -- just did a post today about how another blogger (who I've never met...only admired from afar and on the internet!) and I are creating a fun filled look with her pics/style and my t-shirts. What goes around...

Privet and Holly said...

Hi! Just strolled over from Morning T. Your place is amazing! Now, for the bathroom. I love those stainless racks that you see in hotels. I just stayed at a plantation in Mississippi and the lovely old bathroom had one of these racks with "shelves" for stacking towels as well as hooks at the bottom for robes, hanging a hand towel or wet washcloth, etc. Their's had the right vintage vibe for a bathroom like this one....and what vintage bath can't use more storage! Enjoyed meeting you and I'll be back {in the words of the Governator}! xx P&H

Unknown said...

Dear Bev, I've just found your beautiful blog via Morning T and I was wowing and hhhahhhing at every single image! Your store is full of fab items!!! I really love the cushions!!!
I'm a new follower!
Hugs from Italy!
Mara

kribss said...

i really need a flight out to your store! i need that 03 hamilton rd sign. my son's name is hamilton :)

Mely said...

I love the new nautical decor! I almost didn't recognize the store. For the bathroom, you can put a long wide shelf where you can put a couple of old locker wire baskets and fill these with towels and toiletries. I'm thinking some large old colorful metal numbers. You can also put some apothecary jars. I love the bathroom reno...can you come over to my house?

Mary Catherine said...

I just started reading your blog, and absolutely love it! To answer your question. I suggest painting the wall the blue green that matches the small tile surrounding the bathtub. Then hang a towl bar w/ white towls and a monogram that matches the blue. It might be too matchy-matchy for her, but I think it will bring everything together.

Debra said...

I also just started reading your blog......and I'm sure I'll continue. A friend, who's French, has a similar bathroom and she painted the walls a sunflower yellow....I know, doesn't sound too good but it's fabulous. Might work here too and then the black and white photos of the kids in the bath that someone suggested.

The Willows said...

Thank you all so much for the fantastic suggestions! We will have to keep you posted as to what Emily decides to do. Love, love, love hearing all your input and ideas!
Kribss - We do ship:) Call or email us at the store to find out about your Hamilton Rd sign!
Best to all!

Vava (aka Virginia) said...

If I entered your store, I'd never leave! The "designer" paid you a compliment; although it'd be very nice if she'd buy some goods! I MUST buy a wine bag or two! Living in TX, shall call the store Monday. GREAT blog!

Full Bloom Cottage said...

This is fantastic, I am so glad I found you, its amazing. I will have to drive to see the shop some day.
Wonderful!!
thanks
fullbloomcottage

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Location