Tuesday, April 27, 2010

while you were out...


Last week, while my son and his family were out of town, we planned a little surprise bathroom remodel for them. In the week they were gone, we completely gutted their old bathroom and retiled and repainted it, along with putting in a new tub, sink and toilet. My son and daughter-in-law were so excited and so pleased with how it all turned out. My daughter-in-law told me it makes her happy every time she walks down the hall and sees it. She said yesterday, while the kids were in the bath, she sat on the floor and read a magazine and somehow it felt like such a treat. What she said was the very best of all was having all the work done without having to live through the dust, the plastic sheeting, workers coming and going, etc. with the kids at home. In her opinion, it was the very best of surprises!

We are very lucky to know one of the most handy craftsman around. In addition to all this amazing work and long hours (remember, he did all this before they got back from vacation), he has even taken my old pantry door and is cutting it down to fit their bathroom. If you need someone, we couldn't recommend him enough.

And when they came home from their long drive, this is what they found...


We bought this piece from Sage a while back and had used it at Palatte. We had it for sale at our Garden Sale in March 2009, but no one seemed to see its potential. So, we finally gave this amazing little piece a happy home. We cleaned it up, put in clouded glass and sunk this bowl sink into it (ok, so the sink hasn't actually been sunk in yet... you try and remodel a whole bathroom in under a week). What do you think?


So, what do you think? Do you like the finished product?
Would you enjoy this kind of surprise or would it make you crazy not to be in charge?

14 comments:

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I love it! I'd leave the sink as is, looks good to me. Mine are like that in one of my bathrooms. I'm leaving for vacation on Friday. My laundry room needs a some attention. I'll send you my address.

Rosanne said...

So adorable. I love the old "vanity" with the new modern sink. I would LOVE to have someone do that for me! We redid our guest bath a few weeks ago, I only bought a new mirror and light fixture. I painted the cabinet black. It's made a huge difference. Next up is our master bath. So after you do Jeanette's laundry room I could use some fabulous ideas :)

TSL said...

That was so wonderful of you, I know they were thrilled. What a sweet story.

Melissa @ Veranda Interiors said...

What a great surprise!!! You have a wonderful blog and i look forward to reading it day after day. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, they're lucky. It looks great. I love the idea of revamping old stuff and really like what you've done with the vanity.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Um...Will you be MY mother in law...purty please!

Love the old dentist cbinet (?) and the great mirror made of metal molding!

tunning! Found you through Brooke!

kath@retromantic antiques said...

So great. What nice parents you are!. Just found your blog. I'll be back.

Tricia said...

Hi there, visiting you via Brooke's post today. Wow, this bathroom redo is fabulous and I love the vanity...white chippy and rusty makes my ♥ skip a beat!
I'm off to check out more of your fabulous blog.
T

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thing to do for your "kids". It turned out great! I love the metal cabinet! So cute!
marcie

Anonymous said...

What a pleasant surprise your kids had when they got home. It is more fun fixing up a room for someone else and I know they appreciated it. The floors really make a difference. Love the sink and shabby mirror and cabinet. Great redo post.

Greet Lefèvre said...

What a great job you did! Of course I would be delighted with this redo! Hope your son and family will be happy too!!
xx
Greet

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog..
Love your family story about all your kids/grandkids...I came from a large family and love it....I was like you, always praying to God for just children one day....we have 3,but I would've loved to have had more (had my last one at 40!) I always love our get togethers when the entire family is together....loads of fun times/great conversations and memories.
Have a great day,
Jeanette VW (noticed there's another Jeanette on the comments!)

Anonymous said...

Your shop is amazing! If I lived there I would be shopping like a crazy woman! Love your blog and the party for your daughter looks amazing...great job!
Marcia

Anonymous said...

What about a black & white or green & creme "Keep Calm & Carry On" poster? I can bring you one....PS. I think that's AWESOME that a "big" designer relies on you for her ideas. There are SO many of us that are loyal buyers you don't need to worry about her, I think it's awesome and funny! See you soon to get inspiration and BUY something from you!!
xoxo Amy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Our Location